OT knowledge check #17 Entry

Before starting OT school, I worked in a SNF as a rehab technician for about a year and a half. Over the course of working there I saw, and was exposed to many things that I can now relate to things that I have learned while being in OT school. One of the things that I observed while working there was an OT giving an evaluation on a patient. Back then, I just thought that the OT had memorized all of these different questions to ask the patient, but I now know that she was filling out an occupational profile for that patient. This falls into the top down approach that OT is based off of, which is asking the patient what is the most important thing in your life that you would like to get back to doing, instead of approaching them as a broken or disabled person. We have gotten the chance to practice filling out occupational profiles in this class, and that has helped me to really start thinking like an OT.

Comments